Popularly known as Kollu, Ulava.
- Horse Gram is a type of legume, generally grown in dry agricultural areas. It is small oval, somewhat kidney shaped, green brown to reddish brown colored bean, about ½ inch diameter in size.
- Its aroma is similar to freshly cut hay. These are very hard in texture and require prolonged cooking time to obtain palatable value.
- It is consumed as whole seed, sprouts or as whole meal largely by the rural areas of southern India.
- Horse gram is rich in iron, calcium and protein.
- Low in fat and high in carbohydrate content.
- Low in lipid and sodium content
- Has low glycemic index which makes it ideal for diabetic and obesity patients